17 Amazing Ways to Rejuvenate Mind and Body
I sit in my apartment in Milan, looking out of the window on a street, light with sunlight and cannot stop smiling! A long, cold winter is officially over! And everything looks and feels different. The air is fresher. The snow has melted and beautiful greens of every hue begin to shine in the sun. People look happier.
Everywhere you look, you see a transformation: days are getting longer, flowers are blooming and trees are getting new tiny leaves.
No wonder spring is considered the season of growth, renewal and love!
Spring is also the perfect time of the year to revitalize your senses and refresh your mind.
Here are tips that will help you to do just that:
1. Get rid of clutter. During the winter our homes tend to become filled with lots of bulk and piles of different things. It is both physically and emotionally healthy to simplify and de-clutter your work and living space once in a while. Right now is the perfect time to do that! Organize your desk, sort out old photos, make room in your closets by throwing or giving away anything that is unwanted, outdated, unused for 2 years or no longer fits. Let the energy flow freely.
2. Captivate your senses with aromatherapy. For thousands of years essential oils have been used by different cultures because of their health-promoting benefits. Use chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood, lavender, rose, or sandalwood to calm down your mind, ease anxiety and stress and soothe tensed muscles. Or choose citrus, peppermint, rosemary and thyme scents to energize your body and uplift your mood.
3. Take a few moments to meditate. Meditation is a great way to calm your mind, increase concentration, release negative feelings and regain your emotional strength.
4. Do nothing for a half an hour. As it turns out there are many physical benefits of doing nothing and just being lazy. Research shows that people who would rather relax in a hammock and read a book instead of working on their laptop or doing their house chores have a better chance of living into old age. Give yourself some rest!
5. Take mini-vacations during the day. You do not have to wait for a two-week vacation to feel rejuvenated and energetic. Instead you can take 15-minute mini-vacations every hour or so to regain your strengths and put some space between you and your hectic work schedule.
6. Hydrate your mind. Lack of water is the number one reason for daily fatigue and poor concentration. Contrary to what many believe, drinks like coffee, soda pop, or alcoholic cocktails are very dehydrating and act as diuretics (they make your body lose pure water without ridding it of any toxins). There is no better substitute than water to keep your body and your mind hydrated. Therefore, make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. And if you are not a big water fan, add a slice lemon or honey to it to give it great flavor.
7. Nurture your body. During the winter time lack of vitamin D due to the body’s insufficient exposure to sun light combined with low temperatures and humidity can noticeably weaken our immune system and decrease our energy levels. This is why you should make sure that you incorporate more fruits, nuts and easy-to eat veggies into your diet.
8. Welcome spring into your house. Even if outside is cold and raining, you can lift your spirits by bringing spring and sunlight inside your heart. There are plenty of little, low-cost changes you can make to improve your mood and remind yourself that spring is coming: put fresh flowers on the table, change window curtains to something more colorful, buy bright dinner napkins, change the wallpaper on your desktop to something more cheerful.
9. Get your beauty sleep. There is no better remedy to rejuvenate your body, and make you look radiant and happy than a good night’s sleep. It is the time when your cells self-repair and your body releases two important youth hormones – Human Growth Hormone and Melatonin. Make sure that your bedroom is your sanctuary where you rest your mind and body after the long day at work, not the storage room, where you keep old stuff, exercise equipment, electrical gadgets or work papers.
10. Stretch your muscles. Stretching is a great way to reduce mental and physical stress and relax your back. When I say ‘stretch’ I do not mean “lean back in your chair, raise your arms over your head, yawn and say to yourself, “I could definitely use another cup of coffee!”. I mean real stretching!
• Get out of your chair, stand up straight and keep your feet shoulder width apart. Slowly bend forward and touch your toes.
• Hold for about 30 second.
• Stand up and place your hands on the top of buttocks, just below the waist.
• Bend your head, then shoulders, then your back backward, letting hips go slightly forward for balance.
• Slowly return to standing position.
• Repeat a couple of times.
11. Create your own Spring CD. It has been scientifically proven that music affects our mood. Create your own spring CD that helps you to get in touch with yourself, lift your spirits and put a smile on your face.
12. Be good to yourself. Think kinder thoughts about yourself. Be kinder to your eyes and do not strain them too much by staring at a computer screen for hours. Be kinder to your body by eating healthier foods and pampering it with a relaxing massage or a hot bath. Allow yourself to rest, without feeling guilty or anxious.
13. Get in touch with nature. Nature is beautiful at this time of year. You are missing a great deal by locking yourself in a stuffy office or spending your weekends in front of the TV. Get outside! Do some gardening. Breathe fresh spring air. Feel the sun on your face. Listen to the birds singing. Touch the grass. Stroll slowly along a lake or the beach.
14. Let go of emotional clutter. Just like unneeded stuff clutters our house, negative emotions and beliefs clutter our mind. Unresolved conflicts and negative feelings take up too much of our energy and tire our mind. Spring is a time for new life and new beginnings. Do not poison it with anger, grudges, envy, guilt, and blame. Leave this negative emotional baggage behind and start from a clean page.
15. Visit a petting zoo. Petting little lambs or observing rabbits play is not only a thrilling experience for your children, but a great way for you to distract your mind from everyday worries and have a great time!
16. Call a friend that you have not seen for a long time. Life goes on. We get married, have kids, move to different places, lose touch with people who have played important roles in our life. If there is a friend who you have not seen for ages, now is a perfect opportunity to renew your friendship. It is really gratifying to call an old friend, grab a cup of coffee together and catch up on everything that happened since the last time you met.
17. Be romantic. Do you feel love and romance is in the air? It does not matter if you are already in love or searching for your special someone, spring is the perfect time to be romantic, give flowers, meet new people and refresh old relationships. Allow yourself to be daring, bold, and beautiful. Open up your heart and show your spouse, children, parents, friends that you love and care about them!
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!